If you are just getting into Italian football, I have all of the facts that you need to get yourself started into it. Italy has been one of the premiere footballer nations of the world and with the newly formed Italian Football League, they are still going on strong. But if you are just getting started, you may not realize what is important about the IFL right away and I am here to change that. So here is what you need to know to become a world-class Italian Football League fan.
- Juventus Football Club is awesome. The club was formed way back in 1897 and has been awesome since then. They hold the record for having one more championships than any other Italian football team and is clearly the best club in all of Italy and is considered to be the second-best European football club.
- The Italian national football team has won the FIFA World Cup four times, only barely trailing behind Brazil who has won it five times. For the newbies out there, the FIFA World Cup only happens once every four years and was only started in 1930. So having won it four times is actually a big feat.
- Serie A is one of the most popular football leagues and even one of the most popular professional sports leagues in the entire world. It is considered as the most tactical national football league. Serie A has won 48 major European trophies. Included in Serie A is Juventus, Milan, and Inter.
- Football, or soccer as it is known in the United States, has been proven to have been played in Italy since ancient times, especially during the height of the Roman Empire. Because of the span of the Roman Empire, football was spread all over Europe. It has been so popular in Italy for so many centuries that even famous Italian families of history are known to have played, including the Medici family and Popes, who even played football in the Vatican.
- The national football team is called Gli Azzurri, which is in reference to the traditional colors of the Italian national teams and any players who are representing Italy. The blue that is referenced in “Azzurri” became a national color after the royal dynasty that brought Italy together during the 19th century, since that was the family’s color.
- Luigi Riva is currently the Italian Football Federation’s best-scoring player of all time. He was undoubtedly the best forward of his generation and the greatest Italian striker of all time. He was known for his power, speed, as well as his composure under pressure. He was nicknamed “Rombo di Tuono” which translates to mean “Roar of Thunder” in English. He was a force to be reckoned with .While he retired from playing professionally in 1974, he was the team manager for the Italian national team from 1990 until 2013.
- The training grounds for the FIGC headquarters are in Coverciano, Florence. Because it is a national league, games are played throughout the entire country and no matter what city it is in, they are considered home matches since they are all in Italy.
The most important thing to remember that while Brazil gets a lot of attention as being the best team in the world, and I am not going to argue that they are in fact a great team, Italy’s history is much longer and more impressive. It shows that they have amazing staying power that we do not know that Brazil really has.